View Single Post
Old 12-11-2011, 03:09 PM   #10
SBT
Fanatic
SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SBT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: prs-t1, tablet, Nook Simple, assorted kindles, iPad
Mnemonics (or do I mean tags?)

I'm too lazy to write out html tags unless I absolutely have to. Therefore I use tags to indicate document properties, and convert them to html at the end of the formatting process. The general rule is that tags consist of % at the beginning of the line, followed by a single character.
  • %c - chapter heading
  • %e - chapter end
  • %P <djvu file page number> - page separator
  • %p - page header
  • %w - page footer
  • %i <file page no.> <caption> - image
  • %y - First paragraph in chapter
  • %f - footnote
  • tab/8 spaces at start of line - new paragraph.
  • footnote references are indicated by @ followed by an optional index number, and can
    occur anywhere on the line.
I introduce other tags as I need them, so I've also used tags for subtitles, sections, vertical spacing, horisontal separators, chapter introductions etc.

Why have an end chapter tag as well as a begin chapter tag?
In most cases, this is superfluous, but in some cases there can be text or pictures before the chapter heading proper.

Here's a sample tagged document:
Code:
%P 1
    MY GREAT NOVEL
        BY
 Long-forgotten author
%P 2
dedications, contents and stuff

%e
%P 2
%p INTRODUCTION     1

%c CHAPTER I

%y It was a dark and stormy night.
Suddenly, a voice cried out.

%i 2 A stormy illustration

%P 3
%p INTRODUCTION    2
	Why this voice@ cried out,
nobody could adequately explain then and there.

%f Though it was generally agreed to 
be a female voice.

%P 4
%p INTRODUCTION    3
Thus the setting for this novel should 
have been set.
%e
%P 5

%c CHAPTER II
%y A glorious morning spread happiness and joy...
SBT is offline   Reply With Quote