View Single Post
Old 01-13-2013, 07:20 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnote View Post
The specific issue is that some books allow an extreme amount of space between two words when justifying, sometimes as much as 1.5 inches.
I would say white-space of 1.5 inches between words is a result of the book creator using non-breaking spaces improperly. I see "rivers of white" somewhere in almost all Kindle books, but I've never encountered that kind of spacing due to the justification algorithm alone in Kindle books.

Quote:
On the other hand, some books seem to know this is unacceptable, and make that particular line flush left so the extra space appears at the end of the line,
As mentioned before: there is just no way for a book to even begin to know what might constitute "a line" due to varying screen sizes, font sizes and margin settings (unless you want to create a fixed-layout ebook).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-13-2013 at 07:25 PM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote