View Single Post
Old 11-21-2012, 04:58 AM   #10
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post

The problem is letting the affiliate know your Kobo email address. All aspects of the affiliate/Retail Partner relationship can be fulfilled without your Kobo account email address being given to the affiliate.
Having seen one of these reports made for retailers myself (limited to my own activity), I'd have to say that leaving out information which identifies account activity kind of leaves the whole thing open to a giant fraud.

But, as you say, you're not a Collins customer. But you did say this:

Quote:
I assume that this is if you purchase a book from the Kobo site, but got there through the affiliate.
At least in the States, "got there through an affiliate" means that you followed a link from the affiliate to somewhere on Kobo.com, with a URL on the affiliate's website which included a parameter which identifies the affiliate to Kobo, so Kobo can meet their obligations to the affiliate, be it a single book sale, or a new registration. (Both activities result in revenue for the affiliate).

For example, here's a Kobo link from a randomly selected American web bookstore:

http://www.kobobooks.com/?utm_medium...rce=ABA2080030

Kobo knows where the referral came from by a parameter sent in clear text in the URL: the "ABA number" unique to each affiliate. If this linky goodness turns into an actual Kobo registration, or even a single title sale, part of the deal between Kobo and the affiliates states that some cash has gotta get kicked back (and, uh, obviously you have to give Kobo your email address).

I'm not being dismissive of privacy concerns, but this is the way the game is played at this point.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote