View Single Post
Old 06-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #250
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Why? eReader have been doing exactly that for goodness-knows how many years. It's an accepted DRM mechanism.
Because unless I've misunderstood something, the idea of making it possible to identify who purchased the ebook FROM the epub file is NOT what ereaders have been doing.

I buy from Kobo, I get an Adobe DRM book. You need my credentials to read it, yes, but if someone hacks my computer and grabs the file (or intercepts it during download), they can't extract my credentials. My name, my credit card information, etc. are NOT embedded in the epub coming from the Adobe servers.

Same with the B&N social DRM -- I don't think it's possible to intercept the download and extract the CC# from the epub, because I don't think the CC# is IN the epub.

Rowling Inc is saying that if they download an HP copy off of torrent, then can crack that file open and find a person. Therefore, the person's identify must be IN that file, or linked to their database. THAT is new, or am I wrong?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote