View Single Post
Old 04-17-2017, 05:29 PM   #406
maddz
Wizard
maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maddz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Icarus, iPad Mini 2, Kobo Touch, Google Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't think you understand what Calibre Companion actually does. It's not a replacement for Calibre on your Mac; it's a companion for Calibre (hence the name) which you install on your Android device, and which then synchronises with your main Calibre library. You can then do library browsing, searching, etc (all offline) on your tablet, and once you've found a book which interests you, open it in your chosen reading app. It's a wonderful tool. Do take a look at it.
I will take a look, but actually I don't particularly want to use 2 apps to do all that; I really want a reader app that supports the collections functionality I've got used to in the Kobo (and to a lesser extent, the iOS Kindle app), and to be able to display any series information recorded in Calibre. The Kobo collections functionality is managed via Calibre - I set a metadata 'tag' in a specific column and that 'tag' is the collection/shelf that shows up on the Kobo when the book is sent to the Kobo.

I use Calibre purely to manage my ebook library; this is duplicated in LibraryThing where I also log my print books. Currently, I have over 4600 print books, and over 1600 ebooks. (There's some overlap: some titles I have both print and ebook versions, some of the ebooks are omnibuses which have been split into individual titles within Calibre.) LibraryThing is my master catalogue; that's why I'm keen to get the LT Browser app working again to use it as a checklist. That's where I will do the bulk of my searching - to check whether I own a specific title, and if I do, in what format as I'm trying to reduce the number of print titles I own.

So that's why I was asking about reader apps that can also import and display Calibre metadata rather than a separate app to do that. I'm too long away from Android to remember specific functionality from the Nexus; all I remember was that I copied everything to DropBox and FBReader linked to there to access my books, and I would basically see my directory structure (by author) and that was it (hence why I used to add series information as a prefix to the title). I'm hoping Android reader functionality has moved on from that.

I hope all this makes sense!
maddz is offline   Reply With Quote