View Single Post
Old 05-09-2017, 11:58 AM   #41
Trane
Groupie
Trane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensionsTrane can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: android tablet
To all, thank you for your input. I am not about to engage in an argument, however. Amazon engenders loyalty, probably and especially for people who have made money publishing with them, which is understandable. To be fair, once I start publishing I might soften in my attitude in that at least there will be an up side to Amazon to counter the negatives (not excuse or embrace them, but counter them).

OTOH, defending Amazon by pointing to companies who do worse (Apple for instance) is not resolving Amazon. So what to proprietary formats? This shows a total lack of understanding of the bigger picture of what serves the international community of online standards... i.e., the public, education, and ease of making as much information available to as many people as possible in the most efficient way... yes, even while making a profit. Proprietary formats that undermine international standards work against that, and there is only one reason for it.

Amazon would not have such a big job supporting their older devices, nor would coders who have worked so hard to make their programs adaptable, if they had initially made them compliant with standard code. Yes, e-ink is different and there are built-in restrictions, but the 'solutions' they came up with are not solutions at all. Now that newer Kindles are capable, they still aren't supporting the standards. That works against the entire ebook industry. That's my opinion, YMMV, and we can agree to disagree.

(And to Hitch, I don't read books with pictures and if I did, I'd use an app that supports the code. Maybe Aldiko does, I don't know, b/c I have never had a need. But I have 4 e-reader apps on my tablet.)

Have a good day, all...
Trane is offline   Reply With Quote