View Single Post
Old 09-02-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Kindle helps a Louisiana Hurricane Gustav Evacuee

A couple of feel good posts on the Amazon forums today.

Gustav and Me

Quote:
Susan Bowen says:
This is an e-mail I sent to Amazon feedback:

I wanted to let you know just how much the experimental part of my Kindle has helped my family and I. We evacuated from Houma Louisiana, ground zero for hurricane Gustav, to Minden Louisiana. Our wireless internet service was not working at the motel and in fact just came back on after about 24 hours of being out. I was able to access our parish emergency website on my Kindle so we would be able to know when we could return home. This feature was a real life saver and I hope you continue to have it as a part of the Kindle service.

Sincerely,

Susan Bowen
And another story about a woman using a Kindle to contact her husband when she had to go to the hospital.

Gotta love technology

Quote:
Sambient says:
Hit my head at work today. Hard. Like good-idea-to-go-to-the-emergency-room hard. So a co-worker took me over there, just in case.
In the waiting room I realized I didn't have my cell phone on me. I wanted to let my husband know what was going on.
I did, however, have my Kindle.
I went online via whispernet to a bulletin board I frequent that works okay with the Kindle. Many of us have gotten to really be friends over the years. I knew I could count on some support there. So I started a thread asking for help from any of the posters who were in the U.S. to call my husband for me, to send me a private message and I would share his cell phone and instructions. I lost contact a little. I guess with all the hospital equipment around, it might have had something to do with it. After my intake and I was lead to my little piece of the emergency room, I got back on the kindle. A good few messages came, and when the first one I'd replied to didn't seem to have read the message yet, I shared the info with another of the guys who had responded.
When my husband showed up at my bedside later, I was delighted. Here's to good internet communities and clever roundabout uses of technology.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote