View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 04:43 AM   #11
jbjb
Somewhat clueless
jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbjb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPhone 6 Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
His books are always good escapist fun, if one doesn't take them too seriously.
Agreed, with emphasis on the "don't take them too seriously part"

They're "badly" written (by which I mean you can see the workings - the author's tricks he uses are there for all to see, where a technically better writer would conceal them), full of logical and technical errors and largely ridiculous, but I do find them strangely addictive and I'll certainly be reading the new one.

"Digital Fortress" is particularly daft - full of fundamental conceptual and technical errors regarding computing in general and compression in particular. I still enjoyed it, though.

If you like Dan Brown's stuff and want something in a similar escapist vein, but better written, I'd suggest MobileRead member Boyd Morrison's work - well worth a visit.

/JB
jbjb is offline   Reply With Quote