View Single Post
Old 01-17-2011, 01:23 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by statethatiamin View Post
I have a ton of books on my Kindle and I was having major trouble with the indexing/re-indexing of all my books causing dramatic battery loss and lock-ups.
Once an item has been indexed then it doesn't do it again. If it is constantly reindexing then something is wrong with a file or you're running an old buggy version of the firmware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by statethatiamin View Post
Personally, I think maybe the Kindle deliberately indexes books from sources other than the kindle bookstore improperly as a disincentive for people to use those sources.
No. There isn't any penalty for using your own files whilst reading or indexing. Indexing works fine for most people except when they've got a corrupt or malformed file. 90% of the content on my Kindle isn't from the Kindle store yet I've never had any issues with indexing or battery life. Its all a mixture of PDFs and Mobipocket files which I generated with Calibre.

Good to know that you can disable indexing completely however. Some people load in several hundred or even thousand files at a time and not actually require the ability to search.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote