View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 11:34 PM   #11
slowsmile
Witchman
slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slowsmile ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android S5
Gregg...

"Hi Bill, I downloaded the book. Thanks. As far as I can tell though, when I upload to KDP, it distributes whatever file format will work on the devices, including KFX."

No, KDP will not automatically convert your reflowable ebook to KFX format on conversion, if that's what you're saying above. You have to upload your ebook specifically in KFX format and this will result in only KFX distribution on Kindle devices that can handle it.

You should also consider that KFX format(as a .kpf file) will NOT work on mobile phones or older Kindle E-ink devices(i.e.KF7). So, do you really want to upload your ebook in KFX format with those somewhat severe customer restrictions? And if your KFX ebook is over 20 pages in length, do you really want to lose ALL your ebook profit while using Amazon's 70% profit option?

"So is it the kind of thing that you (as a professional) can choose whether to use KFX but I (as a writer just uploading to KDP) can not?"

Whether you decide to use KFX format is really up to you as the indie publisher. Converting to KFX using KC is very easy -- you don't need any html knowledge to convert your book to KFX format using Kindle Create. All you do is just choose the KFX book type, then load a pdf version of your ebook into Kindle Create and it will automatically be converted to KFX format(as a .kpf file) for you to upload. But you should really take heed of all the many KFX downsides that I've mentioned in my book before you consider publishing a KFX ebook. If you already write and publish mainly text heavy reflowable epub 2 ebooks, there should really be no reason or need for you to publish in KFX format.

In my book, if you go to Chapter 1 > Pros and cons of loading a PDF in Kindle Create this section should help to dissuade you from ever using KFX format.

Last edited by slowsmile; 12-05-2018 at 01:25 AM.
slowsmile is offline   Reply With Quote