View Single Post
Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just to add some data: On my traveling laptop (XP pro, 1 GB mem, slow single-core processor, 4200 rpm disk), it used to take 55 seconds to open my library. It now takes 3.5 seconds. No NAS involved.

Note that I see almost no change on my desktop machine (win7 pro, 4 GB, fast 4-core processor, 7200 rpm disk); it went from 1.4 seconds to 1.2 seconds. I think this is due to having enough memory for windows to maintain a reasonably complete file name cache, but it could be a win7 vs XP thing, the cache on the disk itself, or (more likely) a combination of all of these.

Last edited by chaley; 11-29-2010 at 11:14 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote