View Single Post
Old 05-25-2008, 06:13 PM   #129
megotrafigon
megotrafigon began at the beginning.

Device: camera
(excuse me for hooking up here)
I've just discovered your interesting topic about using a camera instead of a scanner just while I'm trying it. My need is to digitalize old documents in historical archives, both as single sheets and books. The main need is for books since they are forbidden to photocopy. Unfortunately it is also forbidden to make use of a tripod and people guess for various devices to hold the camera tight on the documents laying on the work table. I builded a self-made device with a heavy metal base and a metal tree holding a horizontal arm to screw the camera to. I made some satisfying tests with a Nikon Coolpix L1 for single sheets, by shooting via USB cable with Nikon's Remote Control software. As for books things were more difficult due to the need to hold the book open at an angle of about 90°, so I shooted first the pair pages and then the odd ones, the photographed page lying on the table and the previous pages with the cover being held vertically by my odd hand while with my right hand I hit the key for shooting. Now unfortunately 1) I lost my L1 camera 2) Nikon has discontinued Remote Control for all models. So I'm looking for some camera with remote control sw and as you too said the only ones are Canon's.
Now I'd like to ask you if you have thought of photographing books just lying horizontally on the table and have some suggestions to improve such procedure
TIA
megotrafigon is offline   Reply With Quote