View Single Post
Old 06-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
I just successfully flashed seanikos kernel from this posting: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...75602&langid=2
I had to extract it from the update package.

So in principle, we're set to flash backup dumps onto the K3 via USB only, simply using ATK. I'm tempted to write a libusb-based version that does the same, however, it doesn't make much sense since I cannot distribute the RAM kernel (included in ATK).

This is probably the end of serial K3 rescue.
I should probably make a proper How-To.
We can add the K3 kernel (or whole package including it) to a "foreign" server and add it to the "simple debricking forensics pastebin". This keeps us safe with the MR "no direct links to firmware images" rule, and adds a step that at least requires noobs to know enough to copy/paste a URL, and amazon techs told me that it "should be okay" to distribute firmware images with a "repair tool" (but the amazon legal staff did not follow that up with written permission that I had requested). The amazon legal staff DOES know we are providing these images, and as long as we help them (with debricking their customer's kindles) more than we annoy them, we should be safe. In that regard, complaining TOO MUCH about crappy 5.1.x firmware MIGHT change the balance and make them decide to send takedown notices. We need to keep the balance on the positive side.

Then of course, we can build a kernel from GPL source, but we may have to recreate any non-GPL code in the included initrd...

Summary: If you DO create a package with RAM kernel image, we can add it to the forensics downloads (for now, IMHO).
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote