View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM   #15
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by omskillet View Post
Hey Hitch...that's interesting that KindleGen does its own obfuscation. I was able to run the python script I found on one of the mobileread threads on my epub and almost all fonts came through correctly except for that gosh dang Gibson Light! My client only plans to do mobi release via Amazon so would it be foolish to assume that I can leave that one font "un-obfusicated" and Kindlegen will provide at least some support in protecting the font?
omskillet:

Um...that's a complicated question. Here are my responses:
  1. If your client licensed the font for use, and it allows free redistribution, don't worry about it;
  2. If you/your client didn't license the font, (and it's required, redistribution isn't free, OR ALLOWED AT ALL, etc., which is my recollection of Gibson Light) well...no offense, but I don't want to get involved with that. As I earn my living working with copyrighted and IP material all day, I can't be seen to assist with light-fingering someone else's IP.
  3. If your client licensed the font, and it requires payment prior to redistribution, then, no, I wouldn't particularly rely on the obfuscation done by KindleGen. As you can see almost anywhere on the Net, cracking a DRM'ed book isn't that hard. What I don't know--because I've never done it, humorously enough--is "how" obfuscated the font is if you MOBIunpack a post-Kindlegen file. I don't recall the fonts being particularly obfuscated once the file was unpacked. Is Diap here? He would likely know this. Diap???
  4. My best practices are to subset ALL, repeat, ALL licensed fonts, period. THEN make the mobi. Use the subsetted ePUB for distro, and use it to make the MOBI. Problem mostly solved. Okey-dokey?

P.S.: Deja Vu Sans or Nobile might work for you where you used the Gibson Light. As far as I remember, they aren't quite as "soft," as Gibson...and the ascenders might be slightly different, but there are much "font-ier" guys on here than I who can likely suggest others. But the DVS will definitely do in a pinch, if you need a sans serif fill-in. And you can redistribute those to your heart's content.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote