View Single Post
Old 11-06-2013, 02:15 AM   #10
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by omskillet View Post
RESOLVED! I did not know that the InDesign export embeds a subset of the font based on what characters are being used in the file. I deleted the fonts from the epub and re-added the full clean fonts. All characters rendering properly!
omskillet:

One last note--when you license a font for "commercial use," it frequently does not include redistribution, which, if you have not subsequently subsetted the font, is what is required for licensing without any issues for ePUBs, where the entire font goes forth merrily with each sale. When you license fonts, for ebooks, make sure that redistribution rights are included in the license. Otherwise, you may find that when foundries say 'commercial rights,' they only mean for print, not for distributing the entire font file over and over. Adobe in particular is downright cranky about this. ;-)

I recommend you try subsetting the font in your ePUBs, which is then again subset in Kindle via KindleGen--it's the safest route, particularly with commercially-licensed fonts.

Hope that helps.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote