View Single Post
Old 08-03-2018, 09:54 PM   #9
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
It's the news. Not the specific stories that are covered, but the way all news stories are covered.

Quote:
Spoiler:
The old movie Network doesn't feel like a satire anymore.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Nothing new.

Introduction to “Crisis of the Month”

“Crisis of the Month” began with my wife’s griping about the hysterical manner in which the news media report on the day’s events. Veteran newscaster Linda Ellerbee calls the technique “anxiety news.” Back in journalism school (so long ago that spelling was considered important) I was taught that “good news is no news.” Today’s media takes this advice to extremes: no matter what the story, there is a down side to it that can be emphasized.

So when my darling and very perceptive wife complained about the utterly negative way in which the media presented the day’s news I quipped, “I can see the day when science finally finds out how to make people immortal. The media will do stories about the sad plight of the funeral directors.”

My wife recognizes an idea when she hears one, even if I don’t. She immediately suggested, “Why don’t you write a story about that?”

Thus the origin of “Crisis of the Month.”--Ben Bova

“Crisis of the Month” — originally published in F&SF, March 1988, copyright © by Ben Bova.
Found in Laugh Lines by Ben Bova Amazon Baen

bernie
CRISIS OF THE MONTH by Ben Bova Can be read for free on the Baen ebook store.

bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote