View Single Post
Old 07-18-2018, 04:00 PM   #10
JP91306
Connoisseur
JP91306 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
POSSIBLE Solution to Server Connection Problems

I spent a lot of frustrating time trying to get the Server system to connect to my portable devices...and FINALLY found a solution that appears to work more often than it does not.

IF, like me, you have several possible connections to your router (i:e: Homerouter24 and Homerouter5 and Homerouter Guest)....and...if connections to these services are available to all the devices....as available....

BE SURE that both the server machine and the iPad, Kindle, iPhone, etc., are connecting to the SAME one. It doesn't seem to matter which, they just all have to be the same. So disconnect, and reconnect to the same service that the Server machine is using.

Maybe this should be obvious to everyone (but me), but it wasn't.

I mistakenly assumed that the router would allow connections from the "low" or "highspeed" services to each other. At least with my T-link router, it does NOT.

As soon as I got all the devices on the same connections it all worked, and if I switched everything to the other connections...it still worked....as long as each device used the same connections as the Server. My server machine seemed to prefer the "highspeed" connection...and the devices seemed to prefer the slower one.

Please understand that I just barely "get" the whole router/connection/server system, and the people who REALLY understand it can probably express this better.

I hope this can help someone.

jp
JP91306 is offline   Reply With Quote