View Single Post
Old 02-24-2009, 02:09 AM   #4
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
As opposed to visiting the webpages of the stories via an RSS feed and saving them to your disk with the Save to disk function in a browser and then using calibre to convert the webpages to something readable on the reader?
Well, leaving aside the fact that I've never joined the RSS universe and therefore don't have a clear sense of how that works, yeah, I guess so.

Quote:
But I get your larger point which is that news publishers are running out of funding sources and calibre isn't helping that. To do that I have to say that calibre does not deliberately strip out the ads. The ads are removed as a side effect of making the webpages legible on the reader. If the publishers wised up and included ads in a way that did not make teir websites unusable on the reader, there would be no need to strip the ads.
Hm, for that to work meaningfully, there would have to be a way for readers to click the ads, yes? Which won't work on a Reader. Not that I ever typically click ads myself, anyway.

I suppose a lot of publishers are even now trying to decide whether to go to a subscription (or partial subscription) model. The subscription prices I've seen for the Kindle seem quite reasonable, and I wonder if that's a model that will take root.

I didn't realize Calibre could handle paid-subscription content. Cool.

Quote:
EDIT: Another purely legal point is tht calibre doesn't actually distribute the repackaged content. It would distribute the content if I set up a website and made the LRF/EPUB/MOBI files avaialble for download
Good point.
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote