View Single Post
Old 10-29-2011, 01:56 AM   #227
molman
Evangelist
molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.molman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mandel717 View Post
I didn't mean to load my statement! Just that comparing it to something like the Kindle, which seems more customized for the use of it, it's obviously some off-the-shelf hardware from one of the many manufacturers of these types of devices, located in China/Taiwan. I suppose I could have just said an existing tablet model...
I get the essence of what you’re saying, but it's all just conjecture as you don't really know the degree to which this was a custom design for Kobo verse a more reference design the OEM had, nor should it really matter in the scheme of things. As I said the Kindle Fire is being made by Quanta another Taiwan OEM and from all reports apes the RIM Playbook, which I speculate helped with costs as the more custom you go, the higher the costs. With the BOM looking to be rather tight I doubt there is much scope if these companies wish to hit the $200 price points.

It will be interesting to see what the Nook Color refresh looks like as the original had a much more striking design.

Also I agree with pokee to a point, I think people’s expectations of a $200 tablet might be a little high. That said, as I said earlier it still sounds like the quality control just isn't up to snuff.
molman is offline   Reply With Quote