View Single Post
Old 11-17-2010, 10:39 AM   #7
Prince Hal
Zealot
Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Prince Hal once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Galaxy Player 4.2; Nexus 3 (wifi only); Nook HD+ (possibly)
C'mon B&N here's a real opportunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssholloway View Post
...There was a lot of discussion around the display booth that the device is not as good as an iPad. Since I already have a MacAir, I certainly don't need all the features of the iPad. For me, the Nookcolor hits the sweet spot.
Okay, so personally I don't rate it as a dedicated ereader for prolonged reading, but as an occasional reader, perhaps as a study tool, then I see so much potential. It all depends if B&N see the appstore development as part of its business model. Do they want to fill the gap where Apple apparently don't want to go (i.e. the smaller iPad) and others such as the BB Playbook and Samsung Tab want to overprice their product, or a host of other just want to a cheap and ugly, unresponsive slate.

I am really rooting that B&N take up that "sweet spot". For me, something like OliveTree or Laridian's Bible software running on the NookColor for $249 would be awesome, leaving me with the Kindle for longer reading stints.

It had a decent file explorer on it. Basic, but you can see the individual folder, so can side-load documents etc into it. This is a nice touch that is lacking directly on the Kindle (you need to be linked to a PC to do it). Also I tried the highlighting features which worked well and easily and then you have the option of emailing, Facebooking or Tweeting the highlight to a fiend, contact or yourself. It will be interesting to se how it works with NookStudy and being able to extract highlighted passages for inclusion in a Word document.

Oh, the final test, the "Gadgeteer / Julie" creak test. Could you bend it and make the seems open up. Nope!! Though I didn't force it, it was a sturdy unit and it remained in tact - unlike the underware of the sales assistant who watched me do it.

Ah, so many gadgets (excuse me in case the wife is reading "educational enablers, particularly for our children") so little time.

Hal.
Prince Hal is offline   Reply With Quote