Thread: Telephone Scam
View Single Post
Old 11-13-2017, 02:03 PM   #10
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm afraid that such things are very common in Britain. The most common one we get is people phoning up claiming to be from "Windows Support", and responding to "a virus on your computer". They try to con your into running Windows Event Viewer, finding the "error" messages in it (which there will always be some) and then charging you a couple of hundred quid to install a worthless "fix".

My standard tactic is to allow them to get half through their spiel, then politely interrupt to say that I'm very interested in what they have to say, but there's someone at the door, and asking them to hold on. The longest I've managed to keep one holding for is 40 minutes, so far .
That one is pretty common in the US, as well. Another common telephone scam is calling claiming to be from the IRS and if you don't pay some fine via credit card, your wages will be garnished.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote