View Single Post
Old 01-25-2013, 09:38 AM   #5
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
My guess on the "Safari won't download it" problem is that the OP is clicking the blue "Adobe DRM ePub" / "Adobe DRM PDF" button in Safari on their iPad, and it is here they see the message, which is correct because Safari / iOS cannot find an application that is configured to read that file (adobe .acsm file).
Ah, but the Kobo app is installed and it supports Adobe DRM. There's the catch, the current version, 5.9, DOES support Adobe DRM'd files, but there is a bug which is causing the app to not correctly register that it can handle acsm files and that's why Safari / iOS does not see Kobo as being able to deal with this file. This bug will be addressed in the next update.

This bug should not cause problems with non Adobe DRM files, which may explain why DNSB did not see any issues, and saw the correct behaviour, ie; Safari / iOS detects an app can handle the file type and gives you an option to open the file in that app / those apps (if you have more than one that can handle the file type)

As to how to get hold of the book, you'll need to use a computer, rather than the iPad / any iOS device. Simply sign into your Kobo account on the computer, Bring up you Im Reading list and find the book, click the blue Adobe button. This will download the acsm file. As to how to side-load this, I've put instructions at the very bottom of this email.

As for the actual original issue with the book, could you sign into your Kobo account, click on the My Library option, which should display the I'm Reading list, and I'm assuming the book is still on that list? If so, click on the book and it will display the book item page, can you select the URL in the browser address bar and post it here. Can you also tell me where the pages jumped (chapter and page number before it jumps) and also the chapters that seemed to be missing. I can then grab the book and see if I can replicate the problem. As you're seeing it on multiple devices it sounds as though it's an issue with the book content, so I'd suggest contacting customer care and stating the book has errors.

If you are using an iPad, follow these steps:

1. Connect your device to your computer and then launch iTunes

2. From the "Library" list on the left hand side of iTunes, there should be a Devices section and it should display your device. Click on your device to select it

3. In the main section of iTunes it should be displaying a Summary screen for your device. Along the top there are various options (Summary, Info, Apps, Music, etc...) Select the "Apps" item.

4. The list of apps on your device should appear. The lower section of the screen has a "File Sharing" sub-section. Locate the Kobo application and click on it.

5. Click either the "Add" button and navigate to where the book is on your computer, select it and click the choose button, or drag and drop the file into the Kobo Documents section. This should copy the file over to the Kobo iPad application

6. If the file is an Adobe DRM protected file you will need and Adobe ID, if not then you can skip this step. If you don't have an Adobe ID, create one here: <https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm>. Switch to the Kobo application, tap on the blue menu bar to display the grey options bar, tap "Settings". You'll see an option for signing into an Adobe account, tap on this option, enter your new Adobe ID into the fields.

7. Switch to the Kobo application, tap on the blue menu bar to display the grey options bar, tap "Library".

8. You should now be able to tap on the book that was side-loaded and read it.

If you are using an iPhone, follow these steps:

1. Connect your device to your computer and then launch iTunes

2. From the "Library" list on the left hand side of iTunes, there should be a Devices section and it should display your device. Click on your device to select it

3. In the main section of iTunes it should be displaying a Summary screen for your device. Along the top there are various options (Summary, Info, Apps, Music, etc...) Select the "Apps" item.

4. The list of apps on your device should appear. The lower section of the screen has a "File Sharing" sub-section. Locate the Kobo application and click on it.

5. Click either the "Add" button and navigate to where the book is on your computer, select it and click the choose button, or drag and drop the file into the Kobo Documents section. This should copy the file over to the Kobo iPad application

6. If the file is an Adobe DRM protected file you will need and Adobe ID, if not then you can skip this step. If you don't have an Adobe ID, create one here: <https://www.adobe.com/cfusion/membership/index.cfm>. Switch to the Kobo application. Ensure you are on the Home screen of the app. The Home screen contains the Library and Reading Life options in the bottom portion of the screen. If you are in the Library or Reading Life sections of the app, tap the Home icon in the top left of the screen to return to the Home screen. Tap the Gearwheel icon in the top left of the blue menu. This will display the settings screen. You'll see an option for signing into an Adobe account, tap on this option, enter your new Adobe ID into the fields.

7. Switch to the Kobo application. Ensure you are on the Home screen of the app. The Home screen contains the Library and Reading Life options in the bottom portion of the screen. Tap the Library item to be taken to the Library.

8. You should now be able to tap on the book that was side-loaded and read it.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote