View Single Post
Old 08-14-2012, 01:41 PM   #64
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
...I think reading engages your mind far more then watching TV and has a greater long term impact then TV. But that is my personal opinion and I am not claiming and scientific soundness behind it.
I'd say "not necessarily." TV and movies can be more impactful in how they engage your visual and auditory senses with your mind; some of the most memorable and influential moments of people's lives have come from movies. Some personal examples:
  • Lawrence riding out of the desert in "Lawrence of Arabia"
  • "Soylent Green is people!"
  • The trip to the Moon in "2001"
  • The last scene of the original "Planet of the Apes"
  • The last scene of "Silent Running"
  • The opening scene of "Contact"
  • The uncomfortable shock of the in-home attack/rape scene from "Clockwork Orange"
  • The vista of "Blade Runner"
  • "Dr. Grant... my dear Dr. Sattler... welcome to Jurassic Park."

I think the only book that's ever influenced me more than these examples would be The Martian Chronicles.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote