View Single Post
Old 07-28-2012, 08:07 PM   #75
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan View Post
Yes I do use their names, but how do a refer to possession such as a body part of one of them as in:

Ban shook his head.

I don't like any of the alternatives:
Ban's head shook. (Which implies the movement was not under Ban's control)
Ban shook its head. (Makes him seem like a thing)
Ban shook their head. (Which is the wrong tense as their is plural)
Ban shook his/her head. (Seems awkward).
Ban shook hiser head. (Seems confusing - especially since I don't want to explain to the reader hiser is a combination of his and her.

It's easy to say:

Ban nodded.

But I'm having problems for how to denote Ban's disagreement without using a gender centric word.
Oh, sorry, I get it now.

I'd go with it-its, then. It would be the clearest and most succinct, and easily understandable for the reader. I would use workarounds as much as is feasible, though:
  • Ban frowned in disapproval.
  • Ban's eyes darkened in anger.
  • "I disagree," Ban said.
  • "Bad idea," said Ban.
That sort of thing, depending on what fits the situation.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote