View Single Post
Old 10-23-2010, 09:52 AM   #12
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by oecherprinte View Post
Apparently, I did not grasp the power of calibre. Is there a good tutorial for:

- converting html to mobi
- converting pdf to mobi
I don't use mobi formats, but many here do. The user guide is where I'd point you. Then ask questions here.

Quote:
with emphasis on how to create a decent toc
This is in the Preferences | Conversion | Common Options |TOC area. XPath is used to build the TOC. There's a wizard to help.

Quote:
and how to influence the ordering of html subpages within a site?
This is controlled by the site or your scraper, not Calibre.

Quote:
Currently, I download a site using wget or htttrack or convert pdf to html. Then I look into the html code with firebug and try to identify chapter section borders and insert tags manually (automatic recursive replace) into the html code.
XPath in Calibre will find existing tags, whatever they are, and use them for TOC creation, assuming there are tags at the right spots.

Quote:
Then I generate a prc using Mobipocket Creator using the manually inserted tags to create a toc. Then I go onto calibre and convert the prc into mobi to be able to navigate through chapters using the 4 way button. Here, again I have to enter the html chapter tags so I do not loose the toc hierarchy.

Quite an elaborate process. I am happy about any suggestions for speeding up this process. I suspect calibre could handle that in an efficient way, if I would just be able to use it properly.
Perhaps someone else can make suggestions. I know there are some oddities about Kindle and TOC, but I'm not familiar with them.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote