View Single Post
Old 08-13-2010, 10:12 AM   #34
EricDP
Groupie
EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EricDP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nook, BlackBerry
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
And if the practice of commercially exploiting new editorial, text design or technical input were to become common, it might well discourage those generous workers like you who tackle this difficult task for the sheer love of it and to no personal gain other than the satisfaction of a job well done and the genuine appreciation and thanks of reaers like me.
But it is common practice. I downloaded a stack of classics from my public library, which the library will have paid for (even though they could have got the books for free... I'm writing a letter about that).

"The Age of Innocence" and "David Copperfield" both had DRM and both had the following text in them:

Quote:
This eBook is copyright material and must not be copied, reproduced, transferred, distributed, leased, licensed or publicly performed or used in any way except as specifically permitted in writing by the publishers, as allowed under the terms and conditions under which it was purchased or as strictly permitted by applicable copyright law. Any unauthorised distribution or use of this text may be a direct infringement of the author's and publisher's rights and those responsible may be liable in law accordingly.
I also got Gulliver's Travel's, which had DRM and said:

Quote:
The scanning, uploading, and distribution of this book via the Internet or via any other means without the permission of the publisher is illegal and punishable by law. Please purchase only authorized electronic editions, and do not participate in or encourage electronic piracy of copyrighted materials. Your support of the author’s rights is appreciated.
They look like Gutenberg texts with a few minor changes. They haven't even converted the quotes (all straight quotes). These publishers are taking the work of others, selling it for profit, and claiming exclusive rights. I'm morally opposed to this and before I upload any books I want some kind of protection (granted, protection may impossible).

It just makes me angry.
EricDP is offline   Reply With Quote