View Single Post
Old 11-05-2009, 07:00 AM   #11
geneven
Member Retired
geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.geneven has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Nokia N800, N810, Kindle 2
By the way, for readers of guilty-pleasure teen books, take a look at Altsheler's Young Trailers Series, eight books about the struggles between the pioneers mainly of Kentucky against the Indians, British, and French, involving a group of young teens. This is available in Kindle format, eight books for 99 cents from the Kindle Store, or from Project Gutenberg also in Kindle format for no charge. I read the Gutenberg versions.

Altsheler died in 1919. His writing is similar to that of James Fenimore Cooper in many ways, but more modern in spirit. The books have some negative attitudes towards most Indians in them, but some strong admiration of a few fierce Indians as well, and an understanding of the lifestyle preferred by the Indians.

I first found these books when I was about thirteen; they have not all been available until recently, unless you were willing to pay a hefty price for an old copy, in the neighborhood of $50.

These books are not outstanding for their formatting and in fact include some very muddy and obscure drawings. I just mentioned them as an essential detour in this thread.
geneven is offline   Reply With Quote