View Single Post
Old 12-07-2019, 06:39 AM   #67
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnotherCat View Post
They may very well be in other places but my post very specifically referred to my own country (so On the ereader front it has got to the stage around here that there have been so few new ones sold for so long now that...).

My information comes from the "horse's mouth", speaking to the retailers. If you have information for around here rather than for elsewhere I would be interested to see it.
Well, since you don't say where you are, the only sources I can point out are global. All markets are heterogeneous, so sales and usage will vary by location but no single location will be representative of the whole. Unless you have demographic data that says your location is a perfect representation of the global market? And unless the retailers you talk to are Amazon or Kobo your sources won't be terribly representative since B&M has never been a big so distributor of ereaders.

And, again, present sales say nothing about the installed base of ereaders.
There's still people out there happily reading on original Kindles, Aztaks, and Jetbooks. Spending their money on ebooks instead of readers or phones or tablets. Anecdotal visibility is not an effective means of identifying the health of a market, especially when the primary use of the product is in private.

It's not easy to analyze a market for media consumption devices.

Any day now we'll hear about a flattenning out of media streaming devices. All markets do it, there's even a generic curve that resulted resents adoption rates. Try this:

http://www.psy.gla.ac.uk/~steve/best/s.html

Note that while sales of a mature market flatten out or even decline gradually, the installed base--the number of people using the tech--represented by the area under the curve. And that one keeps increasing steadily.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote