View Single Post
Old 09-23-2010, 03:38 AM   #32
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by beppe View Post
Thank you Ea. Your praise is much appreciated. It spurs me to add a consideration on the instructional value of reading fiction.

It has been pointed out by sociologists and philosophers that many forms of unexpected violence by youths are associated to a cultural vacuum. I am not referring to those socially under privileged. The Italian philosopher Umberto Galimberti mentions "emotional illiteracy" as one of the causes. This is explicitly related to the lack of exposition to fiction in the early years of education. Where else can one young person learn about sentiments and emotions, their value and importance. Certainly not from play stations, or from SMS exchanges.

I am familiar with the discussions on this point and similar in Italy but I know nothing of this in other countries, if it is debated, anything.

It would be nice to have some comments.
When I first read this post, I thought at first this was a "youth these days" opinion, but now on re-reading I wonder if it is? I'm not certain.

If it was, this would be my reply:

I don't believe children today read less fiction in general. Compared to, say, my parents' or grandparents' generations, more children are literate and have better access to books. I don't know if they read less in school either.

Also, I think the statement is questionable: "Where else can one young person learn about sentiments and emotions, their value and importance. Certainly not from play stations, or from SMS exchanges."
Computer games of the multi-player variety actually strengthens social skill noticeably. Social interaction in general, and that includes SMS messaging, but also online (look at us, here!) strengthen social skills and makes it easier for people to (learn to) connect.

In comparison, reading is a solitary pursuit. I know I could personally have benefited a good deal from less reading and more social interaction in my youth. I used it as escape, and I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in that.

As for "unexpected violence", I'm not convinced that that is a recent phenomenon. It is more visible today because we talk a lot more about it, but statistics does not (as far as I remember) support it.

Cultural vacuum? Perhaps yes, but reading is not the only thing that carries culture and may for many people not be the best medium. Also, it could be argued that that view of culture is elitist?
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote