View Single Post
Old 07-03-2017, 01:41 PM   #46
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
<snippage>

One thing that I've noticed is that I've seen a shift from books and articles to videos not only at O'Reilly but in a lot of online learning sites. I absolutely hate learning videos. I learn best by reading, not by listening or watching some guy yammer. Amazon has gone almost all videos and simulated labs in their online classes. I guess it helps some people.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Yes, I'm pretty much the same as far as training videos go. I learn by doing, for the most part, not by watching. But SBO gives you a choice, which I like. For quick overviews video is okay. But when it goes on for hours and hours, I get impatient.
Somewhat OT: I have the same issue. I've b*tched--er, inquired--of several of the courses that I've taken, in the last 3 years, as to WHY it's all video, all the time, and every single answer came back as: they're harder to pirate.

I recently suffered through more than a few days of video-only, on a course, and I spent nearly 10 days transcribing them by hand. Did I learn the material? Still, NO. Now I have to go back and re-read my own handwriting, which is only slightly better than the rack in terms of punishment doled out.

The whole "video-only" thing really gets up my nose, especially when paying a goodly chunk of change to get the courses in the first place. On both of the courses I'm discussing, they're in the 4 digits and high 4. Yes, really--all videos, all the time. P*ssed me right the h3ll off.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote