View Single Post
Old 09-14-2017, 07:30 PM   #24
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Chris - calibre plugins and windows safe mode have no connection with one another, if running calibre with the --noplugins option makes no difference in Normal mode, it will make no difference in Safe Mode. From what you've written, plugins are not the issue.

I've also just seen that CCleaner can also disable shell extensions (I think that must have been added since I last looked), so there's no need for the nirsoft utility, other than to get a second opinion. Manufacturers also run bloat as scheduled tasks, CCleaner can enable/disable them too.

Dell installs some of its bloat in services, you'll need to find them via services.msc module, you can disable them in Properties (one at a time). Other manufacturers probably do the same, here's an example of Dell services I have disabled.

Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	159040

If you're apprehensive in doing changes to Windows, create system restore point at appropriate times. WinKey+S then 'restore point' will get you to the right place to do that.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote