View Single Post
Old 11-27-2010, 04:45 PM   #2
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by janvanmaar View Post
I have several custom scripts that perform some (ebook/ereader related) actions that Calibre does not implement on its own. I was wondering whether there exists a mechanism to integrate them in the Calibre GUI. It could simply mean adding a button with user specified name to user specified group which would simply run a user specified command and return information about success/failure (through or besides the Calibre job management).
In case there is no mechanism for custom commands from GUI: it should not be difficult for me to write Calibre GUI plugins that would do what I describe above. But is there a way to set things up so that the custom plugins survive a binary Calibre update while all the remaining 'stock' Calibre functionality comes in binary form? I have read about the development environment but I am not sure it would enable this?
Someone like Kovid can give you the 100% facts about it but from my experiences it seems that the plug-in architecture unfortunately does not include zip plugins for gui interface actions. See this thread for my experiences of the first gui action I tried to add. It is so close to being possible but there is a unfortunately one existing file (builtins.py) which you have to modify each time for every action you add.

I've made a number of modifications to the source for various gui actions (some submitted as patches, others not), and I just keep pulling down the latest source and merging it into my version of the code. Not a big deal once you know what to do - I was a complete noob to Python and Bazaar so it took a while but got there eventually. As time goes on I make more and more tweaks and "improvements" so it may all go wrong one day of course.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote