View Single Post
Old 09-28-2010, 07:53 AM   #1
kebuzf
Enthusiast
kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kebuzf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Smashwords tech difficulties grrrrrr

Today is the 6th day that my submitted manuscript says "pending approval" on Smashwords

Now....

First up- I re-formatted the msp once already and checked everything I could and sent it back in

Second-- I'm getting just a little upset because I don't understand how Kindle can accept the book and make it available to not only all Kindles (there are currently 4 kinds if memory serves) but also to many devices that have a Kindle APP.

Which means, to me with my basic techno-babble knowledge of e-readers and computers....that any other e-reader that can accept a Kindle APP...regardless of what few idiocincracies it may have that make it different from other e-readers..can accept my book.

Now, why can't Smashwords take my manuscript, (which was accepted within 24 to 48 hours on Kindle and gone 'live' so it can make me money)...and get it up there doing the same thing?

I thought there was a general "common" layout of gigabytes and jiggawatts to all e-readers to accept the basic text manuscript from most known forms of WORD software?

I currently have WORD 2000 and when I need to format it to submit I have to go to the library that has WORD 2007… Yes, I could download WORD 2007 to my own computer but I can’t afford the 145 bucks quite yet But aside from a more confusing layout of the main page (a common complaint OF WORD 2007…WORD 2000 should be just as widely accepted as a submission format as any current WORD right? It’s just ten years)

Unless, of course, the staff at Smashwords is up their eyeballs in work and the book’s just waiting in line to get read?

If anyone knows the explenation I feel it would be good to put it out here not only for me but any newbies who are having the same problem. It's just so frustrating because I already did what marketing OF the book I know to do and my blog has been starting to get alot of hits from around the world as well as curious people looking at the free sample on the Smashwords page (which brings to mind....if Smashwords can make a sample OF that msp available –I currently have 30 percent of the book available AS a free sample-then how come the entire thing can’t be plugged in and accepted so I can start making some cashflow??)

If one of you could do me a favor and go to Smashwords and download the free sample I’d appreciate it. At 30 percent you should be able to read the entire first story and a portion of the second story as well. Let me know how it looks. Thanks

Or if someone knows the story on why the Pending Approval process is taking so long I’d appreciate an answer to that as well

It’s just that I feel so many of our “toys” that we use every day have a basic commonality to them. Cars, while designed differently, have the basic steering wheel and instrument panels in the same places as do televisions *(despite a variety of width of the screens, the remotes that control the device are basically similar……)

The only major difference here is that cars are made a bit different overseas. And yet, the basics are still similar. Why can’t e-reading devices all follow a basic “guts” layout?

Thanks in advance to those of you who will take time to try the free sample on Smashwords as well as take time to answer this confusion. I appreciate it.
kebuzf is offline   Reply With Quote