View Single Post
Old 05-14-2013, 09:42 AM   #351
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by flips01 View Post
It definitively works better than the Kindle on PDFs (mainly due to the better resolution). The Kindle's pinch zoom is easier, though.
For my multi-column PDF's I would need to split the pages in some program before syncing to the Aura.

Two questions:
1. If I set the page refresh from 6 to 1 (due to that bug), will that decrease battery time notably?
2. Is it possible to turn off the "Page # of #" in PDF viewing? (Especially in Landscape mode that would be nice)
My advice would be to set page refresh to 1 ONLY when reading PDFs. If you are reading mostly PDFs, you could leave it at 1 all the time, but if not it will probably save you battery at least some to have it on 6 when reading epubs. It is one thing you *can* change after opening a PDF (or epub), ie you don't have to do it from the main menu. Just bring up the bottom menu, tap the spanner, tap "reading settings". 2 firmware versions ago we didn't have this bug, it just automatically cleaned up after moving around in zoom mode...maybe they'll fix it again soon.
If you find changing back and forth annoying, but still want to save on battery, you can do the 2nd work around:
Move your document to the appropriate place on the screen. Bring up the menu (touch bottom of screen, or right side when using landscape). Touch anywhere to close menu. This will also refresh the screen. But you will also have to do this when you turn a page in portrait and it sends you to the top, which if page refresh is on 1 will load properly.
I find it less distracting and frustrating to just change the page refresh when using PDFs, but as I say, best of all worlds is if they fix this silly bug ASAP.

One note with landscape...I don't know why, but it doesn't go to the start of the next page when zoomed and you turn the page. So after turning the page, you have to scroll up. Annoying. Portrait does this properly, which is why I tend to use portrait, even though landscape allows for bigger font.

Unfortunately, there is no way to turn off the page of page setting. BUT if you are zoomed in they disappear! So if you are using zoom anyhow, it isn't an issue. For non-column based PDFs, I recommend using the fit to width zoom if you don't have excessive margins...for me that makes it zoom the perfect amount. Of course this may vary on what your base document looks like.
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote