Thread: Author Website
View Single Post
Old 06-02-2012, 05:27 PM   #7
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
I have one for my series. I built it on my own servers with word press. I however do not sell on my website, and I typically recommend against it. Just make your "buy now" link to Amazon, B&N, or etc. That is a minor point though.

The big thing I would add to what Fashe said is the meta data on your site needs to be done well. Right now if you go to Google it is extremely easy to find my books. If you have book one and want to find out if I wrote anything else you could easily find it in Google via a search on title, author, or series. Word Press makes managing this meta data on your site a piece of cake. I have used Drupal, dotCMS and others and find WordPress is the easiest, IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
I agree, WP quite powerful and extremely flexible while still being easy to lean and manage. Those looking for free hosting solutions should check out WordPress.com while those having their own hosting account should check out WordPress.org.

WordPress.org distributes the WP software and a vast array of themes and plugins, all free opensource.
Both these gentlemen are correct and you can do a lot yourself. When I started I used Yahoo's free tools and over the years I tried other tools that I came by and one day saw a "previous edition - the last XP version before Vista" Serif PagePlus publisher for $20 which seemed to do everything I wanted very nicely. I currently use that along with 1and1's first level (non monthly payment) tools. I am an engineer though and that is why I did it. I wanted a feel for the technology. I try to be conversant with anything that a client might mention.

You can easily find current free Serif PagePlus packages online along with other companies wares.

What I am really stressing here is that no one need start that way.
The web hosting companies will give you tools and will broadcast your info. If you wish the host will start up your site. You don't have to jump into the online publishing business when you start up. Your time and real effort should be spent WRITING.

But along with your fiction or non fiction writing you should also write all over the place your own personal domain name as a easy invite for anyone to check instantly about your books for sale (on whatever venue) and interesting things about you, the author, that might help cement a sale. This domain name should be on everything you write, "talk" or even "think." It should be in your books (in the front, in the back, on the jacket), on your gift book marks, on your gift pens, on your business cards, on your name tag, at the top of your emails and at the bottom, on your blogs, etc., etc.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote