View Single Post
Old 11-24-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
49Kat
Fanatic
49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.49Kat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 9th Gen, iPhone 11, Paperwhite 10th Gen.
Well....I have to disagree with some points in the article. When I was recently at a Cole's store, I handled a basic Kobo, and compared to my Sony PRS 650, that looked and felt 'cheap'. The Vox, to me, feels quite sturdy. Of course, I've never been in contact with a Nook or a Kindle, so I have no basis for comparison.

As for 'sluggish swiping' while turning pages...umm...you don't need to 'swipe'. My Sony requires swipes, and that's what I was used to and that's what I was doing with the Vox. It didn't work so well. But taps do. In fact, in the Kobo app, the page turns are so fast with a tap that you could accidentally turn more than one page. Aldiko and Overdrive have slower turns and the pages kind of slide. As for other apps, the 'slide' is quite sensitive, I find. (And I've accidentally sent my angry birds in the wrong direction when trying to pull back on the slingshot, too, LOL!)

I do wish I could successfully stop the orientation because sometimes when I'm reading, I walk around and the Vox is very sensitive to a change of position, which means it might want to change to landscape view when I don't want it to, and then I get to see that 'spinning wheel'.

And the battery life...I wish it was better. Here in the sticks we have frequent and unexpected power outages, so I normally keep everything on full charge. I'm finding when I'm at home, I've got the Vox on charge a lot, and on a recent 10 hour (one way) road trip, I had the Vox plugged in. Fortunately we have 110 in the truck, but a lot of vehicles don't have that. (Maybe a 'lighter' adapter would be a good idea?)

With a Kindle, you're stuck with Amazon, but with the Vox, I can buy books from Kobo, Kindle, or even Aldiko. Or Sony. Or even Nook, although I haven't tried the latter 2 yet. I can also borrow library books with the Vox, which I couldn't with a Kindle. And is the Kindle fire available in Canada yet? With all the same bells and whistles that U.S. folks have?

Overall...I'm happy with the Vox, and is sure is interesting, learning how to use it.
49Kat is offline   Reply With Quote