View Single Post
Old 05-14-2011, 01:16 AM   #1
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
Can you return an Amazon ebook if too many typos

Hi, I already preordered the hardcover of the fourth volume of David Roy's English translation of the sixteenth century Chinese classic The Plum in the Golden Vase, and just saw Amazon now has kindle version of the same title for pre-order (for just a couple of dollars less). I bought hard cover copies of the first three volumes and am totally blown away not only by the precision (many a time word-for-word) of the translation but also by the unbelievable thoroughness of the annotations, the 200+ page rich notes at the end of each book is an invaluable treasure mine, so is the 2000 character cast list - many of the characters are real historical figures. I initially wanted to collect all volumes in hard copies, but my environmentally conscientious wife kept on pushing me to get an ebook instead (I now have an iPad that has the Kindle app). My concern is most of these annotations are bilingual, and I am not yet convinced current ebook format that Amazon supports is sufficient for that; the limited number of ebooks I purchased so far from Sony, B&N and Amazon, are all in English and yet all have noticeable typos. This book I am interested in is from Princeton University Press and I am not sure how experienced they are in ebook publishing. My question is, if I purchase the ebook version and it turned out that these notes have too many errors/typos, can I still return that to Amazon? Anyone has previous experience that can share? I believe all the new books published nowadays have digital templates of some sort first, so a precise soft copy should have already existed before the hard copy even goes to print, so I really cannot understand why and how ebook version of these new books can ever get so many typos and errors-how hard is it to just reformat the original digital text into epub or whatever format? If I understand correctly, ebooks are like software or music media, once bought, you cannot return it, right? Thanks.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote