View Single Post
Old 09-29-2010, 04:51 PM   #43
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by c861556 View Post
I'm well aware of that. I just don't see any purpose in comparing a supposed e-book reader with a type of device that was specifically designed and sold to be used for two-way radio telecommunications.
All of the Kindles have some sort of radio in them and it is an advertised feature. Nearly all of them have a cell connection.

You can triangulate your current location just based on the strength and IDs of the cell towers that your cell can see. Its not quite as accurate as a GPS but it will generally put you within the correct area.

The method would be to look up the unique BSSID of visible WiFi networks in publicly available databases like Skyhook Wireless or Google. They've done surveys with data logger equipment vehicles so they know where each WiFi network is.

The Kindle doesn't have a GPS so any location features are from one of those two.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c861556 View Post
As to your second point, I wouldn't mind this abhorrent and entirely unnecessary invasion of privacy that much if I wasn't required to send Amazon all kinds of personal data in order to get full access to such basic functionality as organization of content.
Activate it once and then never connect to wireless again.

Its up to you whether you want to risk using false details when creating your Amazon account.

If you have the 3G+WiFi model then it should in theory be possible to remove the 3G modem as it is a Mini PCI Express card inside the Kindle. I can't vouch for correct operation of a 3G+WiFi Kindle without the 3G card though.

Other options would be to use the shortcut to force it to select a non compatible cell network or to remove the SIM card from inside the Kindle. Again, no idea what happens if the SIM is missing or incorrect inside a 3G+WiFi Kindle.

Or wait for somebody to do an activation hack like the older Kindles have.

I understand that you may have privacy concerns about the Kindle but I fail to see why you're so angry about it. Nobody is making you purchase and use a Kindle. There are methods available to avoid having your location or other information inadvertantly revealed to Amazon.