View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 01:17 AM   #41
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
t really isn't worth keeping old equipment limping along.
Thanks wombat, And I agree with you but only up to a point. The thing is these Linux boxes I've got aren't limping along--they're humming. And I have three now and I'll soon have three more. Not using them would make me feel like the conspicuous consumption Ugly American.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freeshadow View Post
I second that. Depending on how much pressure you have time-wise it can be frustrating or rewarding to tinker with a Linux system.
Because there are loads of improvements you will find compared to a windows box. Frustration arises only if you need a very specific feat you had on your windows PC and you need it now or yesterday - because that makes you highspeed STFW and RTFM.
So much of NOT fun.
Thanks Free. And I'm chilling a bit. Appreciate the good words of common sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
(I had to Google Dalek.)

Dr. Whom????? (grin)

There are an awful lot of people who run Linux here, Gregg. If you run into a problem, help is not far away.
Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post

But you have to treat this computer differently than any other, if you are like most people. No cute cat videos, no getting a cute screensaver, no fetching email just once. I would disable all the accounts on email and get rid of your favorites on the browser.
Thanks for the great advice. Thing is my sister and another in the office still have XPs too, so they really should bail and get new computers, right? They do A LOT of emailing.

And I'm calming down on the Linux issue. Right now I'm a little concerned about LO having more cruft in it than MS Office Word 2003, but I can live with that. If I can get Kindlegen to work on the command line I won't need Kindle Previewer, but the one thing I feel I would still "need" is something you turned me onto a long time ago--editing in Sony Reader Library. It's just perfect. And it's just Windows and Mac! LOL A very knowledgeable friend said my computer barely was able to run XP it's not going to be able to run XP in a virtual box. Any ideas? It's kinda your fault!
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote