View Single Post
Old 03-29-2014, 08:09 PM   #35
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell
Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gregg Bell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 7, Sony PRS300, Fire HD8 Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
7 is soooooo great. Truly fabulous. I promise you wouldn't regret 7, that I know I can say.
Somebody has 7 in the office. Yeah, it's fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Which is WHY I don't know why you don't just install 7 and Office 2010 (or, hell, keep 2003 if you wish; I have 2003 and 2010 on my system, "just in case") and stick with what you know, and what works for you. Why all the resistance?

Hitch
The office has been bailing (me too) on XP. I have three Xubuntu 10.13 machines now and will have access to three more Dell XPs come April 8th. But I have done the compatibilty tests on the computers and they won't run Windows 7. So I'd have to buy a new computer. Not the end of the world. But I've got 6 computers now! And Linux is kind of fun. I just don't want to go crazy with it any more.

How about this theory? (And this is all on Linux now.) I've got Sigil. LO is decent (and I still have Word 2003 on a couple of laptops if I need them). So that takes care of the epubs. I'm still missing two things from my work process: Kindle Previewer and Sony Reader Library. Now (I've still got my original XP computer) can I download the updated .exe files for KP and SRL and update KP and SRL on my old computer? That way I could work on it off-line and not have to worry about viruses.

(But it is getting a little complicated because I could just update Sigil too and do everything (except uploading and downloading) off-line on my old computer. lol)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post

Gregg, have you run the Windows 7 upgrade advisor, a free download from Microsoft? It would tell you if your machine could even use it in the first place and what problems you would encounter.
Yes, ran it. None of my computers will work with Windows 7.
Quote:
No reason to change my workflow to please the techies who have to have a new OS every year or they get bored.
See, that's the thing--I'm enjoying Linux, but like you said a while back it's a Formula One race car that needs a ride-along mechanic--and I'm not enjoying being that mechanic. I thought using Linux would settle down for me and in many ways it has, but it seems as well that there are always new challenges too. (It's sucking up my time.)
Quote:
FWIW, I have a machine in shop that will continue to run XP, it doesn't need anything else. On it I do not do general web browsing or email. That eliminates about 95% of the opportunity to pick up viruses or malware.
If you would, see what I asked Hitch about using XP off-line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Virtual Machines are not that difficult. I have several, mainly development machines to keep development, testing and operational seperated (also to see dependencies between libraries better).
I personally use VirtualBox, which is free to use. You just say how big it must be (memory/diskspace) and usually what OS will be on there and you are good to go. Of course you need to install our OS, but Greg already has a licensekey. It is really not difficult.
Now, if you want to use VMware ESX, that is a different story but also aimed for another market (business). For 'normal' people Virtualbox will suffice.
Thanks Toxaris. Virtual Box. I'll remember that.
Quote:
I use Virtualbox. But on some machines it can be quite slow, if the machine doesn't support the necessary extensions in the BIOS.

It took me some doing to install XP, too and the ancient program I use, a DOS based Alpha4 took me several days to settle down so it was usable. Printer support in the virtual machine has had some issues as well. Network drives are interesting too if he has another computer networked to this one.

Since Gregg has had troubles where a number of us would not think it to be much of a problem, I hesitate to tangle him up any further. For him, it is a tool to do his main job, unlike for others where it is a hobby in itself.
Yeah, that's perfect, mrmikel. I don't want to spend "days" figuring this stuff out anymore. Linux is fun. It's fast. It's a computer, whereas Windows is more a GUI. But I'm a writer, not a techie, formatter or Dalek. (I had to Google Dalek.)
Gregg Bell is offline   Reply With Quote