View Single Post
Old 02-26-2012, 05:04 PM   #5
NASCARaddicted
Addict
NASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and graceNASCARaddicted herds cats with both ease and grace

Device: BeBook One, Pocketbook Touch, Pocketbook Touch HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
If you're willing to cut the books, use anything with a document feed. Doesn't have to be the fastest scanner in the world then as the process is automatic.
My father has a scanner with document feed. I already got some cheap books from ebay (like 1€-2€ or $1-$2) and cut them apart, but some other books that I want to convert to ebooks are still to expensive. I mean, a used book that is like 1-2 years old still costs almost the same as a new book. And sometimes, I borrow books from the public library - I guess they wouldn't be too happy, if I cut their books. And some other books that I want to scan are very old and rare.

Quote:
Otherwise get a camera and a lamp and build a rig. If you do it right it's fast as you can flip through pages without moving the book, whereas with a scanner you always have to pick the book up flip the page put book back in etc.

Otherwise get a book scanner such as the Plustek. It's still a tedious process scanning a book either way.
Since I already own a good camera, I also thought about that. But for some reasons, I think it wouldn't be the right thing for me. I already tried to build a rig (I know there is a good site who shows different rigs) out of cardboard as a beginning, but you still need to put a glass plate on top of it, to hold the pages down.

Quote:
Alternatively, just download the book. If you end up having a digital copy of your book without paying either way, does it really matter where the digital copy came from?
I would if I could. But many books are still not available as ebooks. There is a successful series of 7 books that I already own as paper books - but I want to read them on my e-reader. I contacted the publishing company and asked if they plan on releasing this books as digital versions. But they said "no".

Now I know that there are some ebook-pirates who rip the DRM off from existing ebooks and publish them for free - some of them even scan books on their own. But still, there are many books that are not available for download. I don't want to scan them just for fun, I do that, because they aren't available in any other form.
NASCARaddicted is offline   Reply With Quote