View Single Post
Old 06-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #89
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Frankly, large screen breakage seems to be a non-issue.

Yes, users are generally able to figure out, that their glass screen can break, if hit with a rock. But the same holds for small screens as well.

I've seen about as many reports of cracked small screens, as I have seen large ones. People have been using tablets and 15"-17" laptops for years, and there is hardly an epidemic of broken screens. Use common sense and a decent cover, and you'll be fine.

And I really doubt most people carry their readers around daily, unless they have a long daily commute on a train, or something. And many commuters carry a larger bag of some sorts, anyway, suitable for a hard-cover or a larger ereader.

But, most read at home. And for regular reading at home, a large screen is hard to beat, IMO. And the K DX is getting close to the perfect size.

I agree that large e-ink screen with glass substrate may work fine with reasonable care. For example,
- if the case is strongly designed to prevent twisting,
- if the screen cover is strong enough,
- if users are careful not to drop something on the screen,
- if users are careful not to put odd shaped objects in the bag with the reader,
- if users use the reading device indoors or on desk,
- and so on.
If the screen is more durable, we don't need so many ifs (including common sense and decent cover) to keep the screen intact.

I am not denying that the big-screen reader is useful the way it is for most people. I am claiming it will be more useful for more people with flexible screen.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote