View Single Post
Old 01-17-2013, 07:53 AM   #15302
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
God, rather you than me . It's all in rhyming couplets. There's only so much of that that I can stand. Honestly, if you want to read the Iliad, there really are MUCH better translations available.
Yes, it is rhyming couplets. That's how these epic poems were memorized. Back then these were all recitations handed down from master to apprentice, not written, so they needed to use some form to insure accuracy. Think how many times 'Rosy fingers of Dawn' shows up in the "Odyssey." Mnemonics. If I just wanted 'story,' I'd watch the Brad Pitt movie. LOL!

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote