View Single Post
Old 10-01-2012, 06:11 PM   #808
Micah
Bluefire Reader dude
Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Micah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by midlifec View Post
I don't like to rain on your parade but until the margins issue in BF is resolved, ebook readers on iPhone will not find it to be a decent replacement for Stanza. As it is, even with the smallest margins, the text still appears as a ribbon down the middle of the screen.
Now that io6 is here, we Stanza devotees are going to be searching for a replacement again. Bluefire started out strongly - pretty please sort this issue out! I for one would un-jailbreak my phone for Bluefire if it was necessary to do so.
I'm not sure exactly what you are seeing, but I myself have run across a few epubs that have large margins applied in the HTML/CSS formatting - and it is really, really annoying for sure. When you go into the formatting tab in Bluefire Reader, and turn "Use Publisher Formatting" to "off" we try to set the Body Margins to zero. That works for many EPUB's, but the problem is, some EPUB's force margins in various non-standard ways including the use of custom CSS Selectors. With the rendering engine that we use, we can't simply "strip" all formatting from an EPUB, (I wouldn't want to even if we could) we can only over-ride the values applied to "known/standard" CSS Selectors in EPUB files.

If you run into any non-DRM epubs that have that problem, and happen to understand EPUB markup, I'd love to know what markup they are using to set those margins (or post the StyleSheet here). When we know about problematic markup, we can fix it, but we don't have a way to "fix" non-standard markup that we don't know about.

Does that make sense? I understand that this is technical stuff, and ebook readers want the app to "just work". We are trying...
Micah is offline   Reply With Quote