View Single Post
Old 11-06-2012, 10:38 AM   #29
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
well, thanks for the support
but then I should woken up earlier and proposed it from the start - indeed I am also very sorry I did not manage to fourth Off the beaten track..., that'll teach me for next time! As we say, "Chi ha tempo non aspetti tempo" (roughly, "Time waits for no man")
Thanks paola, but Off the Beaten Tracks only had two supporters so with yours added it still wouldn't have been fully nominated anyway, but I'm glad to hear someone else was interested in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Guilty. I did consider mentioning it though not actually nominating it. Like Paola lesson learned. Now that the nominating process is closed I will mention a couple of other books I considered putting out there, but I did not because these books are not recent and both are associated with the Ukraine, not Islamic countries that were once part of the USSR.

The first is Babi Yar: A Document in the Form of a Novel by Anatoly Kuznetsov. This is a very good book set in Kiev during the German occupation of WWII.

The second is And Quiet Flows the Don by Mikhail Sholokhov. I actually read this way back in high school, being inspired to it by taking an elective course in Russian history. This is actually the first half of a two novel epic about a family of Don Cossacks set over the crucial period from just prior to WWI through the following civil war in Russia.
Thanks for posting those as well, Hamlet53. Half the fun of nominations (for me, at least) is just becoming aware of other interesting books.

Did you also not nominate these because you were worried about their availability? Because looking on Amazon, And Quiet Flows the Don has many cheap used copies and is also available as an e-book. And Babi Yar has plenty of used physical copies for a good price (though again, the page doesn't make this clear for either one at first). Although, there are two editions of Babi Yar, and the older one with more used availability might be expurgated since the newer, more expensive one is listed as the "new, complete, uncensored version".
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote