View Single Post
Old 08-13-2011, 03:39 PM   #1
MyPreciousss
In search of the precious
MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.MyPreciousss has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3G, PSP Slim CFW, iTouch 1G, PocketViewer, Nokia 6270
Lightbulb Free your Kindle 3

All credits go to the respective uploaders. I've just compiled into a comprehensive guide.

First off, read this whole post. Including all the spoilers before you attempt anything.
Also, read all the linked posts before attempting that hack.

I followed these steps to customize the Kindle 3G SO (US) [B006] version today itself (Firmware v3.2.1). For the whole thing, I used Windows7 32bit and my home WiFi router.

The necessary step-
Jailbreak
  1. Completely empty your Kindle. i.e. Backup and delete all books, music, pictures, etc. (deleting is not a must, some people just rename the folder to 'documents.bak' and carry on)
  2. Disable 'Wireless'
  3. Apply Yifan Lu's jailbreak for 3.2.1 from here. (via)
  4. In my case the update filename was update_jailbreak_0.5_k3g_install.bin
  5. If the jailbreak is successful, you'll see a '✓' just after the update. After which it automatically restarts.

All the following steps/hacks are optional depending on what you want-
Remove/Disable Ads (In home screen, screensavers as well as remove 'View Special Offers' from menu)
1. Jailbreak your Kindle. (steps above)
2. Download USBNetwork Hack. i.e. download 'kindle-usbnetwork-0.33.N.zip' from this post.
3. Follow the instructions here.
Quote:
Note: the step 11 here says - On Kindle, type:
Code:
;debugOn
~usbNetwork
;debugOff
For this, in your home screen, press 'Del' then type the above command then 'return key' for each command
Quote:
Also, to know your Kindle's connected IP (WiFi) type: Alt + UUQ (i.e. 711)
4. Once you are successfully connected into your Kindle with PuTTY and WinSCP (both simultaneously is also ok), now start the actual ad 'removal' process.
5. In PuTTY, after login, enter these commands one by one:
Code:
/etc/init.d/framework stop
mv /var/local/adunits /var/local/adunits.bkp
touch /var/local/adunits
/etc/init.d/framework start
This should effectively remove all ads. If your Kindle sleeps now, it'll show screensavers from the random pool of author etc. photos like a normal Kindle.

Note: to reverse the process and bring the ads back-
Spoiler:
Code:
/etc/init.d/framework stop
rm /var/local/adunits
mv /var/local/adunits.bkp /var/local/adunits
/etc/init.d/framework start

6. Your Kindle is now effectively a normal non-SO Kindle now.
You can install the custom SS hack etc too for enhanced customization.

Install custom screensavers
Follow instructions in this post.
For a collection of screensavers try this blog.

Other hacks like custom fonts etc can be found from this great sticky post and this post.

Other obscure hacks like tethering Kindle's 3G over to other devices are possible. But abhorred by many veteran MobileRead users, unethical and impractical.

Coming soon: An updated guide to completely free your new jailbroken Kindle from Amazon's clutches. (aka disable 'phoning home' etc.)

NOTE: what ever you find on these pages, is dangerous, can easy harm your device, accidents happen, and when trouble strikes - you are mostly on your own.

I would like to give a hearty to: Yifan Lu, NiLuJe, badbob001, Derek1987, volwrath, velocium

Attached- The collection of 'Don't Panic' screensavers that cycle on my Kindle. As, for all intents and purposes, Kindle3G is the Hitchhiker's Guide to The Galaxy
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Don%2527t%2BPanic%2BAnd%2BThumb.png
Views:	1365
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	75447   Click image for larger version

Name:	Don%2527t%2BPanic.png
Views:	722
Size:	369.2 KB
ID:	75448   Click image for larger version

Name:	dont-panic-and-carry-a-towel.png
Views:	904