View Single Post
Old 07-25-2013, 06:31 PM   #1
knauck
root
knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.knauck is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Angry Beware of Amazon CS accidental misinformation.

Good afternoon,
I was looking into a paperwhite with 3G access for use on business trips, in order to read my hometown newspaper over the internet since it doesn't have an eink publication. I also would have used it to look at an email if one came in while I was reading, but otherwise I'd be using my laptop and/or iPhone 4.

I have read conflicting information on the Paperwhite's 3G capability, and the amazon product description is seemingly intentionally vague.

What did I do? I asked customer service. Here's the chat log:

Quote:

10:06 PM Initial Question: Information on the kindle paperwhite 3G service

10:07 PM Surjya (CSA) : Hello, my name is Surjya from Amazon.com.
10:07 PM Kurt Nauck : whello

10:07 PM Kurt Nauck is on hold.

10:07 PM Surjya (CSA) is no longer connected.

This chat was transferred.
Transfer Notes : nformation on the kindle paperwhite 3G service

10:07 PM Kurt Nauck is off hold.
10:07 PM Kurt Nauck : hello
10:08 PM Kurt Nauck : is anyone there?
10:08 PM Chenai (CSA) : Hello, My name is Chenai. I'll be happy to help you
10:09 PM Kurt Nauck : I love my new kindle. I had a question about the other model, the one with 3G
10:09 PM Kurt Nauck : Does the 3G work with the browser? how much does it cost a month?
10:10 PM Chenai (CSA) : The 3G model gives you unlimited 3G Internet and you can download books on the go
10:10 PM Chenai (CSA) : Yes it does.
10:10 PM Chenai (CSA) : There is no extra charge for the 3G, it is unlimited in the US and UK
10:10 PM Kurt Nauck : I read that someone was saying the 3G only worked in the amazon store
10:10 PM Kurt Nauck : wow
10:12 PM Chenai (CSA) : Internationally, you get 50MB and unlimited access for kindle store and Wikipedia but if you're in the US an UK it's unlimited browsing for any websites supported by the experimental browser
10:12 PM Kurt Nauck : interesting.
10:12 PM Kurt Nauck : Thanks! I'm going to buy one right now! Probably put the one I have now on ebay lol
10:13 PM Chenai (CSA) : Lol. I'm really sorry for that wrong information you got before. 3G model is very convenient for sure!
10:14 PM Kurt Nauck : excellent. thanks for your time!

10:14 PM Kurt Nauck has left the conversation.
I think that the line:
Quote:
10:12 PM Chenai (CSA) : Internationally, you get 50MB and unlimited access for kindle store and Wikipedia but if you're in the US an UK it's unlimited browsing for any websites supported by the experimental browser
is pretty clear, and cannot really be misinterpreted.

As you can imagine, when my new PW 3G came in the mail today and the browser would not work over 3G, I was livid to say the least. I have a regular paperwhite already. I would not have dropped the cost of a new PW + $60 for 3G had this not been stated. The fact that I had been flat lied to (or unintentionally misinformed) by an amazon employee really pissed me off.

To those of you who will try to twist my intentions:
I had no intention of tethering off this device. My employer pays for my iPhone and service, including tethering. I only wanted the 3G for the convenience of reading my newspaper and reading a new email now and then.

BEWARE OF "ACCIDENTAL MISINFORMATION' FROM AMAZON CUSTOMER SUPPORT
You have been warned.

Edit: changed "Lies" to "Accidental Misinformation"

Last edited by knauck; 08-06-2013 at 09:24 AM.
knauck is offline   Reply With Quote