View Single Post
Old 10-21-2010, 05:44 PM   #6
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
You can't render text in SVG, iBooks does not support SVG fonts.

I can tell you that if you have something simple--like a sidebar--you can do this, although we've spent a LOT, and I mean a LOT, of time on it. But a background image with reflowing text & other images over it? Well-nigh impossible. We got it to work, but at the end of the day, the customer was not happy with the result. (Long story short: there was still a tiny, and I mean TINY sliver of background image visible on the inside edge of the left-hand page (not the right-hand page) (I may have that backwards--it was 20 iterations ago, I kid thee not) behind full-size story images. The client didn't like that, and then realized that he didn't like the big honkin' white strip of iBook down the middle of the page (in LS), so we completely redid the book, flowing text over a plain background and inserting completely redone and resized images.

I think you could do this in an actual APP that isn't iBooks...but iBooks has a lot of bugs that make this a bloody nightmare, like re-rendering the page every time the book (device) gets re-oriented, so the graphics change size and sometimes alignment (and isn't THAT fun!). I don't think I'd willingly take on another kid's book with text over background until iBooks works some of the bugs out, BUT, on a cool note, it is an enhanced ebook, so it has a video, which has some fun for me and my team as book designers.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote