View Single Post
Old 07-26-2013, 05:23 PM   #462
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I wasn't aware that the calibre TOC Editor added any metadata. It's the ncx file being edited, not the opf file, isn't it? Can you give an example of what you mean by "dirtied up"?
Merely importing a book into Calibre adds the metadata. As I understand it, that's a prerequisite to being able to use Calibre's TOC Editor on it...

EDIT: As for an example, I just added an EPUB into my Calibre library, did nothing to it, and used Save to Disk to make a copy. It made the following OPF changes that I consider "dirtying it up":
  • Removed the BOM from the file, making it an improper UTF-8 file.
  • Moved the title below the author, removing the indentation in the process.
  • Modified the date/time.
  • Removed the (empty) subject field.
  • Inserted Calibre-specific metadata: title_sort, user_categories, and author_link_map (also with botched indentation)
  • Inserted a contributor credit for itself.
  • Inserted a second, Calibre-specific, identifier field.
You may be fine with those changes. I am not.

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 07-26-2013 at 05:48 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote