View Single Post
Old 05-15-2018, 08:45 PM   #9
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Yes CRussel, far worse because it is true, and also because that "profit at any cost" mentality is still alive and well, as Dngrsone said above.

I certainly agree that there were flaws in the book. The worst for me was the frequent touches of fiction that Kate Moore inserted, presumably to make the book more palatable to people who don't usually read much non-fiction. Here is just one example:

Quote:
Roeder sighed and turned back to his desk to read his correspondence, smoothing down his dark hair - flattened, as it always was, with pomade - and self-consciously adjusting his elegant bow-tie. Yet his heart sank further when he saw what was before him ...
That embellishing detracts from the story she has to tell, because it is so unnecessary. Looking at the notes at the end certainly suggests that Moore wasn't making up anything else, but it unfortunately does raise the question of whether anything else was the work of her imagination rather than verifiable fact.

latepaul, I think it was sadly necessary to deal with both Newark and Ottawa in detail, to underline the way in which the second example mirrored the first so exactly, both in the sufferings of the women and the callousness of the management in each case. "Doomed to repeat it" indeed.

I have more to say on the book and the thoughts it raised, but will leave that for later discussion.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote